- State of the art psychologically-based, actuarial screening methodology for public and private safety and security personnel selection. Rather than using the type of interview or testing methods used by clinics as a method to diagnose illness, the Matrix Inc. M-PULSE Methodology scientifically establishes a database in which actual measured behavior can be predicted using similar statistical methods employed by insurance companies to predict many types of risks. This methodology yields exact probabilities of the occurrence of pre-selected undesirable behaviors (i.e., insubordination, excess force, procedural mistakes) and it also establishes an overall finding of liability risk for each safety and security candidate. The commanders and police executives can directly employ the guidance of the M-PULSE Methodology to defend selection decisions and to safeguard the reputation and integrity of their agencies.
- Fitness for Duty Evaluation - On occasion, an incumbent personnel may be suspected of the violation of legal, departmental or civil service regulations because of actions or behaviors that are considered by the community and/or judicial system as objectionable, inappropriate, impaired or abnormal. There may be a strong motivation by the agency executives to both protect the agency, the community and to preserve the career of the employee, especially if there is some reasonable likelihood of a successful or constructive resolution to the conflict or problem. Such a Fitness for Duty Evaluation is preferable to alternative resolutions of the conflict, such as discharge, because of the expense of hiring and training a new personnel, the fairness of an opportunity to assist an officer who may be suffering a treatable condition, and the need of the department to demonstrate an active interest in protecting the public in regard to the conduct of an impaired officer. Matrix, Inc. provides a FFDE methodology that is rapid, affordable, which is a professional service that is specifically geared to the needs of the agency, often acting in close consultation with both agency executives and local qualified mental health providers.
- Wellness Program - Agencies may wish to reexamine the current fitness and appropriateness of incumbent officers on a regular basis (usually once every two to three years). This simple and inexepnsive screening provides assurance to the community at large and to the legal community in particular, of your committment to avoid deliberate indifference errors and to check on the well being of your personnel.
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing - On occassion, personnel may come upon circumstances that are distressing, horrifying, injurious, or traumatic. The "typical" example of the need for this program may be the exposure of personnel to direct violence or to seriously burned victims, but may also occur in other psychologically harmful circumstances. Matrix, Inc. offers an opportunity for individuals to be "debriefed" under professional circumstances, and offers efficient, constructive models for handling officer trauma that minimizes the potential of delayed problem development. Matrix, Inc. provides an independent and confidential service that permits individuals who need assistance to be referred to community experts of treatment before their difficulties become unmanageable.
- Training Modules - Matrix, Inc. specializes in the development of discreet training modules that can be "plugged in" as needed by your agency. Current modules that are available include "Police Departments and the Americans with Disabilities Act", "Managing the Mentally Ill Perpetrator", and "Culture Fair Police Work". Often the agency recognizes the existence of the problem such as reports regarding racial unfairness and yet there is nothing immediately that can be done. The training module program would allow for a single officer or group of officers to be exposed to relevant information in a way that is seen as practical and responsive to the needs of the agency.
- Location and Consultation with Experts - Any private or public safety and security agency or department may face complex administrative and legal dilemmas in which there is a need for sophisticated and experienced mental health experts within police psychology. Aside for the occasional need for clinical (mental health treatment) services, there may be a need for independent opinions regarding the complaints of departments or individual personnel members over certain issues, issues of purportedly unfair methods or procedures, issues of the presence of mental illness that is relavent to personnel action and the like that requires speculated police psychology skills and experience that may seldom be needed in most communities. Matrix Inc. will contract with agencies or their representatives to examine the issues at hand from a police psychology perspective, located local providers for needed services and offer consultation guidance to assist with unique safety and security occupational issues.
- Specialized Services - Matrix, Inc. offers a full spectrum of specialized services including administrative consultation, expert witness examination and testimony, specialized examination development, program creation for agency academies, behavioral science consultation, and the like. We will be happy to speak with you about your specific needs without the obligation or reservation.